> That's not the only, or even the worst, problem with freewheels.  By
design, pedaling tightens a freewheel.  On a tandem or on a bike ridden
by a very strong rider, they get screwed on so tight it's difficult if
not outright impossible to remove them.  What's more, the tremendous
force needed (we're talking about six foot cheater bars here, no
exaggeration) is channeled through a couple of small notches or a
handful of splines, which readily strip out.

Freewheel sticking has not been a problem for me.  But I make a point to
remove the freewheel and lubricate it frequently.

BMXers - and bike polo players who put a lot of pressure on all their bike
parts more often than not use White Industries hubs.

I don't have anything against cassettes per se - and in fact just had a
wheel made with a single speed Chris King and the Jeff Jones modified 6
speed cassette - but my city and tour bikes have MaxiCar hubs and my road
bike vintage Campy hubs modified by Peter Weigle.  I'm supposed to leave
those on the shelf because of stories from people in the day who probably
failed to follow basic maintenance procedures?

Finally - no problem with finding spare sprockets I'll be dead before I
wear out all my horde.