Would it work to put a bunch of singlespeed sprockets onto a cassette? Only
13 to 22t with Surly... http://surlybikes.com/parts/cassette_cog
That could give you a 9 speed corncob with tall teeth, mated to wide-spaced
rings, like 24, 34, 44. I'm the last person you should ask about
shifting-ease, though. I'm happy using a stick.

Philip
www.biketinker.com