Patrick,

Most people have addressed the headwind challenge with upright bars that
allow for positioning the hands forward. Assuming you have the flexibility,
certainly on the Bosco bars and probably as well on the Albas, you can
place your hands on the section next to the stem, rest your elbows on the
ends of the bar for additional stability and end up in a real forward lean.

My biggest concern, which I will further explore on the upcoming Rivendell
S240 is going downhill on rough dirt with the hands on the straight rear
ends where the brake levers are. I find that on the short sections I've
done, I feel my hands want to slip forward and I have a harder time
modulating the brake levers and holding on to the bars. In my case, I
believe this might be compounded by the reverse brake levers which, so far,
force me to use three fingers on the levers with my Neo-Retro/Touring
brakes (that require a lot more pressure) and just leaves the thumb and
index for holding on to the bar. I will have to try some different hand
positions or gripping the bar and brake levers differently to see if I can
address that problem. It's certainly more of an issue than with regular
straighter bars, including the regular Bullmoose where your whole palm
rests against the bar to counter your weight.

Granted, the proper way to go down rough stuff is to move your weight
backwards and put all the weight on your feet and none on your hands, but
when you factor the high/wide Brooks saddle and a wide saddlebag, you can't
really go as far back as you would on a regular mountain bike. I need to
experiment more, but so far, for the occasional rough dirt downhill it's
just a hassle. If I were doing rough off-road riding regularly, I'd
probably opt for the regular Bullmoose bars (MTB syle) vs. the really
upright Boscos or Albas. In my short stint with Moustache bars on my
previous Bombadil, going downhill on dirt wasn't an issue due to your hands
being placed on the curved part behind the bars, which is where you needed
them to access the brake levers. You could do the same brake lever
configuration on the Albas, which would then give your the upright position
option without access to the brake levers, but access to the brake levers
on the more forward position when you're going fast/downhill.

René