The handlebars on the 1980 René Herse are Cinelli 64s. As Matthew pointed
out, Rivendell used to sell these as the "Dream Bars". For comfort, the
older Philippe Professionels are much more comfortable. The Nitto Noodles
are loosely based on those, and the Grand Bois Maes Parallel bars are a
close copy. I wrote about this on our blog:

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/handlebars-old-and-new/

So in effect, we are going back in time. The first step was resurrecting
the 1970s bars ("Dream"), and now we prefer the 1950s bars ("Noodle" and
"Maes Parallel"). The main reason is that the 1970s bars were optimized for
out-of-the-saddle sprinting, while the 1950s bars were optimized for long
days in the saddle.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly