Water and sodium loss (sweat) are the most common cause of leg cramps in
cyclists here is a good
article: http://www.medicinenet.com/muscle_cramps/page2.htm
I have gotten them after long rides on hot days. Drink plenty of water and
intake salt. Salty foods or even something as simple as the salt packets
free at restaurants, are all you need. My wife is a pharmacist and she
looked at the contents of my $20 bottle of Hammer Endurolutes and said just
take table salt, It also contains small amounts Calcium 5%DV, magnesium
6%Dv, Potassium <1%DV, Vitamin B6 333%DV and Manganese 80%DV, per capsule.
They recommend 1-3 caps per hour during exercise in hot weather. I like
Eddie Merckx's favorite food Bananas (lots of potassium)
Tom Dusky
Detroit Ranndonneurs