On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:09:54 PM UTC-7, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
wrote:

>  Undersized tubing? Maybe it's not obvious to everybody, but a lot of
> plus-sized people are drawn to Riv by the promise of high-bar comfort and
> sturdiness. Put some chugging 270-pounder on a bike with undersized tubes,
> and it's likely to get a bit too exciting to be enjoyable.

Hear, hear. One of the reasons I was drawn to my heavy Dutch bike was
because I'm a heavy rider, and I wanted to ride a bike that felt stable and
secure under my weight. After my Dutch bike was flattened by an inattentive
driver (I'm OK, though), I decided I wanted that same strength and
stability and comfort, but in a much more versatile package that could
handle Vancouver's hilly terrain.  That's why I'll be putting a deposit on
a Betty Foy Real Soon Now (tm).

I will say that though I've a difference of opinion with Velouria in the
past, I'm glad she's out there, and I'm glad she's contributing to the body
of knowledge and conversations about bicycling. That she's a woman riding
about some technical topics while not divorcing them from the sheer
enjoyment of riding inspired me to do more than just ride to/from work.

Oh, and hi from a long-time lurker!