Today's ride confirmed that the large SS is the way to go. I removed my small
SS and just used the panniers, which have the same capacity as the large. But
the panniers are a lot more brain energy to access and close up, let alone
remember which side what is on. Thank you for all the input guys and gals!

Interestingly, I found the xs SS works best for me on the handlebars. I had
moved it to the saddle under the logic that nothing on the handlebars may be
better than even an xs. Nope. The wee bit of weight is a good thing and doesn't
mess with stearing at all. Much easier to push the bike up steep trails and
climbing when riding is also easier -- I presume because the weight helps keep
the stearing from getting too light.

With abandon,
Patrick