Several tangential thoughts in response to what's been said above...

I have brain injury and constant neurological vertigo (among other "fun"). I
hadn't ridden a bicycle (except for occasional trying to see how it and my
vertigo got along) since the end of 2002. Late last winter, I tried a bike
again. It worked! But only for a few tenths of a mile (a cheep folder my wife
had). I wondered if a bike sized for me would work better. Borrowed a friends
steel Schwinn and made it 3 miles before my brain said no further, knucklehead!
Kitting our daughters for rides, I ended up with an old Trek that was too
small, but we Rivendelled it up with Albatross handlebars and tires. Now I
could go 8 miles. Was I simply improving or was it the bikes? I rode the
Schwinn again. 3 miles only. It was the bikes. All this time I'd been
researching and was impressed by Grant's approach and decided to take a leap of
faith and get a Hunqapillar. I've spent many 6+ hour days in the saddle, done
countless overnights and a few tours, one that lasted 9 days. The bike matters.

Having said all that, I've no idea what my second point was (no short term
memory is part of the fun). I'll post it separate if something jogs it loose.

With abandon,
Patrick