No advice on the MUSAs -- the only MUSA shorts I used were the original
ones that were too tight, short, and too low rise; the new ones I hear are
a lot baggier -- but I can advise that good quality, roomy-cut, khaki
cut-downs make wonderful riding shorts -- better than the Ibex non-lined
shorts that I also have, and better than the Patagonia sports shorts, too.

Key qualities: High rise: you want a waistband high above the crotch. Too
many dedicated cycling pants fail this way -- the Patagonia, tho' the Ibex
is fine as to rise.

Loose in the hips and thighs: old-style GAP (before they got cheap) pleated
shorts are very good.

A tight-sh and sturdy waistband with either a button or hook attachment --
snaps are no damned good.

And of course a dense, tight weave.

The ideal riding pants would be as above but made from dense nylon canvas,
in black.

I also like my on-sale Nashbar knickers, from tight, dense, nylon canvas,
but I had to buy Large to get sufficient rise, and even after taking them
in 2" they are still too large and require a tight belt.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Christian
<christian.w.mcmil...@gmail.com>wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I'm looking for a new pair of shorts and I wonder if anyone's used both
> and could comment on how they compare.  I've worn baggies for years but
> never even seen the MUSAs.  I like that the MUSAs have no liner and perhaps
> they're sturdier--the baggies have thinned out over the years and don't
> feel, to me, as robust as they used to.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Christian
>
>  --