I agree that is important to support the artisans and tradesmen, especially
in fields where mass production slowly erode our expectations of quality.
 But, what is it about Rich's process that makes a wheel never run out of
true?  If a builder is using quality and appropriate components with
correctly calculated spoke length and gradually builds the wheel to create
balanced ideal uniform tension throughout, relying on a tensionometer and
dishing gauge, what is the difference between one builder and another if
discipline in these areas is followed?

I've read of some builders who use some method of securing the spoke nipple
- Blue Loctitie or linseed oil, whereas others might think of this step as
unnecessary, but perhaps this step makes a significant difference in
certain situations (more weight/more aggressive riding style?).  Why does
the otherwise accomplished amateur mechanic find wheel building to be any
more intimidating than installing brake levers?  If there is mechanical
sympathy, should the wheel build be straightforward enough with the correct
tools.