I'm one of those guys too, current weight is 285 (height is 6'8", partially
the reason).  And my preferred riding takes me on lots of unpaved trails
and transitions on and off them from pavement.  I'm used to popping spokes
on a regular basis when I miss getting off the seat on particularly bad
bumps, or when I stand up to go up a short but steep grade.  But I got a
set of Rich-built Velocity cliffhangers, and I haven't even managed to
knock them out of true to any noticeable degree.  I'm a fan.

Jim in Boulder