An excellent point about the measurement system.  The CC SS comes with flat
bars with a bit of a backwards sweep, so maybe the longer top tube was what
my friend found so comfortable.  Curiously, the store was of the opinion
that if you have drops, then a longer top tube is better so you can "get
really stretched out for the power and comfort".  Bars low down.  This was
based on their own experience of riding a lot. That seems utterly
counter-intuitive to me.

I agree that fundamentally they are a very good shop and they work with
people and bikes all day long, so their opinion is well earned (I never
claimed to be an expert!). They certainly never pointed to a carbon race
bike and suggested he try that.  But, I can't get over the habit of cutting
the steerer tube before the bike has sold.  That would be better left uncut
pending the customer's preference, considering that the fork is so
expensive to replace.

I suppose the acid-test is whether my friend is still talking to me next
week.