In reading the thread about bike fit, I was reminded about another closely
related topic: choosing a bike.

I was in the market  for a new bike, and after a lifetime of Target bikes,
a REAL bike from an LBS seemed like a lofty goal. I hit the only LBS with a
brand name I recognized - Trek. Though my money was as good as anyone
else's, I was treated like a nuisance and not a paying customer. The guys
in lycra with carbon drop-bar bikes were revered and respected as they
clicked their way through the store. I was immediately steered to their
basic 1.0 model of the comfort Navigator line in a remote corner of the
store. They quoted me a price of several hundred dollars and left me to
think it over. I left the shop feeling confused. I was willing to spend
several hundred bucks but had only been given a curt introduction to the
bike. I had no idea why they felt it was 'the' bike for me, and I wasn't
even sure I liked how the bike felt. Was it really an improvement over my
Target Schwinn? I hit Craigslist and found a Trek 7.6FX for sale. I bought
it, and it was the nicest riding bike I'd ever had. But I was left with
this nagging annoyance at being leaned forward with too much weight on my
hands. i couldn't look up at the gorgeous bike path scenery. I was also
very limited in my terrain, due to the skinny, high pressure tires on the
bike. I had to tell my boys 'no' every time they asked to take a dirt road.
I hit the internet, specifically a women's biking forum, who insisted that
flat bars were horrid and drop bars were what I needed. I kept thinking
(almost shamefully) that my upright bars on my old Target bike would be
more comfortable, but I banished the thought because one isn't taken
seriously when one prefers upright bars. The Specialized Ruby was being
recommended over and over again. Its relaxed geometry and those comfortable
drop bars were repeated like a mantra to me. I visited the Specialized LBS,
who raved about the comfort of the Ruby. I wanted a bike that would pull a
tag-along, and that I could put a rack on so I could haul stuff. People
looked at me funny. They didn't know how any of that would jive with the
bike. But they still sung the praises of the carbon Ruby.

By now, I had gotten addicted to riding all over town to my son's school,
on errands, and for pleasure. As the bike became more and more important to
me, I got ready to make a purchase. I was THIS CLOSE to buying the carbon
drop-bar bike because I believed the "experts" that this was a fantastic
and comfortable bike that I would just LOVE. They knew what I wanted the
bike for, and of my complaints of weight on hands, etc, and yet they
arrived at this conclusion. They were totally ok with me shelling out
almost 2k for a bike that would be ill-suited to my needs.

One night I did an Amazon search of books on cycling. Grant Petersen's book
lit up my screen. I saw a bike with upright bars on the cover. I saw lots
of stars in the book reviews. I bought the book. Suddenly, the heavens
opened and choirs of angels began to sing! He was talking about RACKS, and
upright bars, and kickstands, and all manner of practical things that would
aid me in using the bike around town! I went to his website, and as a lover
of literature/writing myself, I was totally taken with him and his brand. I
knew gold when I found it; and it was Rivendell.

Shortly after, I cut some household expenses, sold the Trek (for more than
I bought it for, BTW), and asked Keven if he had a Betty for me. He found
one, had it built within a week, and my family jumped in the van to make
the 5 hour trek to Riv HQ.

I love my bike. It's exactly what I needed, and even what I WANTED. It's
pretty, it's useful, and it's reliable. I shudder when I think of the
nightmare that would have been pulling a tag-along on a drop bar carbon
Ruby. Maybe some of you do that, but it would have been all wrong for me.
And the point of my story is that nobody in the LBS stores cared that it
was. I was excruciatingly specific in what kind of cyclist I was, but they
still recommended a bike that was ill-suited for me.

 I'm so glad I have my Rivendell Betty Foy. Anyone else have a similar
story?