You and your family look great.  I loved your story that kicked this off
and you seem to have hit a heartstring among our folks that ride the bikes
we do and their bike shop experiences.  My daughter got into this thing
with a Ruby and burned out after about three years.  She has been eying my
Samuel Hillborne and wondering "What's going on with dad riding a bike with
a basket and a canvas shopping bag?".

I have the proverbial carbon fiber road bike (Roubaix) and way over
engineered 29er (Epic).  I ride them and like them.  But the Sam broke
through a boundary and made me ride a lot more.  Long rides and short
rides.  A spin around the neighborhood in flip flops.  A long reach and
stopping to fix something to eat and reading a book.  It's all good.  Going
to the Wholefoods store and taking Sam into the store with me to do my
shopping, depositing things into his basket and bag, and checking out is
just cool.

Coastal San Diego is pretty saturated with high end bike shops.  Trek
Superstore, B&L, Nytro, Revolution, HiTech.  They are all quite optimized
for triathlon bikes and cater to the tris.  I am in good shape and have
some great bikes, but I get ignored for being somewhat older and not
splurging on things like an aerodynamic seatpost.  I will set aside Pacific
Cycles and my dear friend, Chuck Hoefer, who I have known since he emerged
from the North county Masi operation and started a bike shop.   He built my
first Salsa and I still have it and ride that bike today.  He is in
Oceanside and I can't always get up there.

Now would you believe the best "goto" folks for getting things done nearby
is the Performance Bicycle Shop in Sorrento Valley.   They have their own
"brands" but they sell a lot of other stuff at good prices.  I have spent a
lifetime accumulating various Park tools for maintenance.  It has been good
to learn how to use them.  But, if there is something I can't handle, or
the cost of the next tool is more than the maintenance, I go to them.  They
are very good.  Never condescending.  And they can usually do things in the
moment rather than tag your bike and get it back to you at some time later.
 They have been very respectful of my eclectic collection of bikes. despite
the fact they did not sell them to me.

Best regards,

Tom