Also, there is a certain attitude one often encounters in some shops. My
sister and her husband lived downtown in a big city when her husband was
going through law school. He used a bicycle to get around, and one day, it
needed some repair work. Heather took the bike in to the shop, and will
never forget being made to feel so small. The employee looked down his nose
at that silver Target Schwinn, and said, "We can fix it, but you know
there's only so much you can do to a bike like that. It won't ever ride as
well as....." and then droned on about the nicer bikes for sale in his
shop. She was so upset because at that time, that was the best they could
afford, and they weren't there to be told how crappy their bike was; they
were there for a simple repair.

When my boys were ready for upgrades on their little bikes, I started out
back at the Trek store. (I asked Riv if they had a kids' bike to recommend,
and they really didn't.) I wheeled the little 16 in Trek Jet to the counter
and waited. There was one other customer in the whole store and 3-4
employees working. I stood at that counter for almost 20 minutes. They
joked with each other, and paid attention to the lycra-clad male customer
in the store, but they ignored me, my 4 year old Lincoln and our little
bike. I could have called someone over, but since I was standing in plain
sight and knew they had seen me, I didn't. Finally, I slowly wheeled the
little bike back and left the store. No one said a word to me. I drove
straight to the Specialized store, where they greeted us warmly, and
purchased the Lincoln's Hotrock for more money.