The transportation issue can be a bit daunting for those who've not
traveled much with their bike.  However, there are several options:

1.  Fly & take your bike as checked luggage.  Most expensive; requires
partial dis-assembly of the bike; hazards of baggage handlers.
2.  Fly & ship your bike via ground service.  Saves a few bucks, same
issues with handlers.
3.  Drive & carry your bike.  Most convenient; a bit slow if going long
distance.
4.  Amtrak.
5.  Host the event:  no travel!

My touring buds & I have done a lot of combos of renting a van (mini up to
7 bikes; cargo up to a dozen) & having a couple of people drive all the
bikes & gear while everyone else flies in.  A mini will fit 4 people + 4
bikes + gear but you need to be good friends.  A 15 passenger with back
seats out can haul up to 8 people plus more bikes.  When you take the
rental cost plus fuel & divide it out, it becomes affordable.  I have
friends who hate flying & love driving, so they'll go long distances.  I'm
happy to split the van cost & fly in to avoid a couple of long days in a
box.  YMMV.

So please don't let distance or logistics dampen your enthusiasm for this
event.  It can be done.

dougP "liking this idea even better now"