Keeping up the momentum after the successful San Luis Obispo NorCal VS
SoCal rumble we SoCaler’s decided an S240 was necessary, so the plan was
hatched to ride from the Irvine Amtrak station the thirty odd miles south
to San Onofre via the coastal communities of Laguna Nigel, San Juan
Capistrano and San Clemente.

Curtis from San Diego met up with Evan and me at the station; it was fun to
gawk at the two Hilsen’s Curtis’s 67 cm and Evan’s 47 cm, great contrast.
 David and Doug rode down from Doug’s home to meet us. Doug being the local
denizen led us through a scenic urban landscape the temperature was typical
August weather for the South land and we only felt some respite from the
heat once on the coast where there was a slight breeze. We were asked a
number of times by combustion drivers where we were travelling from? Folks
were so disappointed we were locals (as if being SoCaler’ on bikes with
racks and bags isn’t something to behold) I mean they always think were
from Oregon gasp!  We decided to say we were travelling from Vancouver to
Mexico just to keep the car deizen’s happy. What’s a little white lie for
sanity.

What kind of ride would this be without some libations there was a lot of
arm twisting and we found ourselves at the Pizza Port, so we hoisted some
liquid amber made a hearty toast to all things Riv, bikes, and compadres of
course playing hooky from all of our responsibilities remember this was
early Friday that’s how we roll down yonder.  The conversation was good and
of course there was talk of the National Riv Jamboree and other topics on
the list of interest, but the best discussion was the curious case of the
nebulous Mike Schiller there was conjecture that he was merely a collection
of electrons which formed only long enough to make posts and commentary on
the list-serve a ghost in the machine if you will.  We’ve planned a number
of Riv outings and Mike was digitally involved but at the last moment
something would undoubtedly pop up? The night before our S240 we received a
post “I'm up in Sylmar tonight at a last minute family gathering. I may not
be back in time. I may ride up later if I'm home in time” We were laying
down the odds of Mike making a showing I think we concluded there being a
1% chance he’d make it and just then the electron ‘field that is Mike
materialized he was standing behind us albeit a bit sweaty but ready to
have a beer & pizza. This is why I don’t bet.

At camp we noticed a tent set up and concluded this must be Tom Virgil as
it was! With yet another surprise Esteban showed up on his sleek Matthews.
Always great to meet more Rivsters. As usual we didn’t get enough saddle
time so we rode our un-laden “rock & fire” steeds with appropriate
visibility back into San Clemente to a great taco shack and yet more great
conversation.

The next morning we awoke to another cyclist camped out David Greenblatt
newly relocated from San Francisco to San Diego who rode in like a true
randonneur arriving while we were sleeping around midnight. Tom & Esteban
had to make their way back home and the rest of us took off on some single
track that was epic! What a way to get the day going. Curtis, David G,
headed back South through Camp Pendleton to San Diego and the rest of us
rode north to Irvine. Sorry for the long ramble...

 Pictures prove it happened.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedalpusher61/sets/72157635232197840/show/

You can’t ask for better people to spend time with. More flash SoCal S240’s
to come.