I've had made some very nice cycling knickers out of good quality men's
dress pants, wool and cotton (ie, khakis cut like wool dress pants). At the
simplest, I made them myself by simply cutting them off at the right length
and sewing on velcro or running a shoelace through the hem -- I wish I stll
had the pair of very nice tan wool gabardines I so altered. (I like mine
long so that cinched just under the knee, they bag enough not to bind when
you pedal -- the Tintin look.)

Dress pants tend to be fuller cut (pleats are nice) and higher rise, which
IMO and IME makes them more comfortable when riding bent over.

The nice thing about knickers is that with knee socks they give you double
protection at the knee. (And I had a lining sewn in to the front of two
pairs.)

I also bought a couple of Nashbar knickers on sale a couple of years ago:
$35 each, IIRC. No nonsense, heavy, black nylon canvas, do damned pad. Not
as nice as the wools, but still very nice. I seem to recall that Nashbar
has various knickers on sale right now.

Hell, for that matter, you can just wear long pants (not jeans! Ouch!) and
use a clip or strap at the ankle. I've got a pair of Riv's original MUSA
long pants that are nice when I don't want to wear tights or knickers.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Clayton <treefir...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have bum knees and the cold is locking them up. I am looking for
> recommendations for winter bicycling pants that are warm, water resistant,
> wind proof and have a full set of pockets. I'd like them to look like
> pants, not tights. Cheap would be nice. Right now, I have taken to wearing
> ACE knee wraps around my jeans. Not very comfy, but they do leave
> interesting wrinkles on my skin. I have been looking at softshell pants at
> Columbia and REI, but the price kinda makes me choke. I am hoping someone
> here has come up with an economical solution? Thanks in advance for your
> collective wisdom.
> Clay

*RESUMES THAT GET YOU NOTICED!*
Certified Resume Writer