This remark has nothing to do with winter pants, but it does bear on knee
pain.

Ever since my high school days, when I believed that shifting to the
smaller ring to climb hills was sissy, I've had a twinge in my left knee
after just a bit of torquing a high gear up a hill while seated. (My first
complete build, circa 1971, age 15 or 16, had a 50t ring and a 15 t cog.) A
month or so ago, during an otherwise very pleasant and scenic gravel ride
with 17 miles of climbing outbound (return in less than 1 hour versus the 2
hours oubound!) my left knee complained loud and long.

It was almost instinctive to force myself to pedal by dropping my heel at
the bottom of the stroke; sure enough, I found and continue to find that
this goes a considerable way toward keeping the knee pain at bay. (As a fan
of fixed gear riding who rides in rolling terrain, I've also learned to
stand early, as soon as the slope starts to bog me down while sitting.)

This afternoon, for example, I pushed a 75" gear against a slight headwind
and up a very steep 1.3 km, and seasoned things with another 3 miles of
more gradual climbing -- always being careful to drop my left heel if I was
seated while applying heavy torque. Now, 1 1/2 hour later, when my left
knee would in the past be bothering me -- no twinge atall.

Knee covered by Nashbar Nickers at 65*F, too.