Every shop mentioned so far is great, and there are several others. Go with
the one local to you. If it's R+E, you can't go wrong there. One of my
favorite shops, because they actually manufacture bikes there - top notch
frame shop in the basement - led by Denis Bushnell. The mechanics upstairs
are very good, too.

Seattle is blessed to have two such shops - the other one being downtown
(near Pike Place Market) - Elliott Bay Bicycles, home of Davidson Bicycles.
Both shops are really incredible.

This is the way it was 100+ years ago for most shops. There aren't many
full-blown shops like this left - even overseas. Alex Singer in Paris,
Daniel Salmon somewhere in western France, Woodrup Cycles in Leeds,
England. Toei/Grand Bois in Tokyo. I'm sure there are others, but my point
is that these shops are now rare, and I really appreciate the few that are
left.

Cheers,
Alex