First, in general: thanks for the comments and suggestions, which I will
followup. But no brown sauce for me -- leave that for the dull-palated
English.

Anne: I'm not Hugh, but since I posted the original question, I'll answer:
I like ketchup for french fries, of which I eat a lot (home made, of
course. Fat and carbs!). Regular Heinz is too sweet: as with many mass
market commercial products, the excessive sweetness dulls the tomato
flavor. I would not want a sour ketchup, of course, but I am looking for
one that has a better balance -- doubtless in the mouth of the beholder --
of tomato taste and sweetness: more of the former, less of the latter.

Mainstream peanut butter is the same (tho' here they take out the peanut
oil and substitute cheaper, which also doubtless affects the flavor): you
get oily sweetness with just a dull hint or suggestion of peanut.

Some of the low sugar brands I've seen have 1 gram of sugar compared to,
what, 5 in Heinz? These are often aimed at diabetics, so optimum taste may
not be the makers' goal, and these may indeed be too sour.

I asked the question to learn if anyone can recommend a ketchup that, from
their experience, has this different balance of tomato flavor to sweetness.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Anne Paulson <anne.paul...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm trying to understand what you want in the flavor here, Hugh. I can
> understand trying to avoid high fructose corn syrup, and I also can
> understand dialing down the sugar somewhat,  but isn't trying to have
> unsweetened ketchup like having a chocolate bar without chocolate?
> Ketchup is a fruit butter, so it's flavored with sugar (and a lot of
> it) and vinegar (and a lot of it) to make it sweet and sour. If you
> take out the sugar, you have sour. Sour is good, but in what way would
> it be like ketchup?
>
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM, hsmitham <hughsmit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Patrick,
> >
> > Don't know if you have Trader Joe's out there but they sell an organic
> > ketchup that has 2 grams of sugar per table spoon like Deacon I'd like
> none.
>
> --
> -- Anne Paulson
>
> It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.