Hey Jim, thanks for your thoughts. Could you not have just loosened the
cables at the brakes and the derailleurs? Getting the handlebars off will
definitely be necessary, I think.

Air Canada appears to charge $50 each way on flights, which is not too bad.
The weight and dimensions limits are also reasonable, so it might be
doable, as long as we fly with them.
Do you happen to know what box you used? Was it a plastic type hard case
jobby?
KJ