Never tell the airlines that is a bicycle when you pack it small. Tell them
it is steel tubes, or a personal mobility device or sports equipment. The
airlines are not suppose to charge you if it is under the 60" limit size.
What some people do is get a letter from the customer service department of
the airline that they carry with them, saying there is no charge if under
the limit, which they show at the ticket counter. Some airlines have this
on their websites, if they do print and take it with you,  Air Canada does
not have this on their website. I once had an Air Canada agent in
Washington DC try to charge me $50 because the box I was using had a
picture of a bicycle on it. I explained to her first it was a Burley Travoy
trailler, the box size couldn't fit a bike if I tried and I tried to
explain to her the policies of the airline, but she didn't want to hear it.
To her a bike is a bike is a bike. Because it wasn't a bike she didn't
charge me but remember of who you have to deal with.

Here is the current ad for the bike case rental
place.http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/bik/4255532848.html

Hope that helps.