I don't know. Let's do a thought experiment. Let's assume that the wheels
have a very high rotational inertia. Wouldn't that smooth out the sine wave
you're talking about? The slowing down part is when rotational
potential+kinetic energy gets converted to potential energy against
gravity. Using a high rotational inertia will actually help in maintaining
speed (to whatever extent it does) and thus create lower amplitude sine
waves.