We are also barefoot inside year round (and outside 3 seasons of the year).
Only when sick or at -20˚F outside (which makes our crawlspace colder) do I
need my leather-bottomed socks on. I solve the simplicity issue by wearing
calf warmers (which are really cut off sleeves from old sweaters). They fit
snug like socks, but leave the foot open, so I can be barefoot, or wear
moccasins or even moccasins and socks (if it's really cold out). And, it's
amazing how warm bare feet stay when the calves are covered in wool.

With abandon,
Patrick