There are a bunch of very nice lugged steel mountain bikes from the 80's.
 I've got two early Stumpjumpers and they make great light-duty off road
bikes.  And it's fairly easy to retrofit modern type shifters & stuff if
you're inclined.  I just stay with period stuff (which there's plenty of)
and friction shift to my heart's content.  You'll have the same challenges
I have, albeit at the other end of the size spectrum (6'3").  Miyata ridge
runners, peugeot orient express.  I'd be quick to second the Bontrager
suggestion but most of those US type early bikes (Bontrager, Ritchey, etc)
command some fair coin these days.

Craigslist, yard sales, maybe ebay.

Good hunting!

Tony