Pat,

First, welcome to the “club”.

I’m a vendor of 1/6th scale product, so I have to be careful of what I say
here…

First, Armortek kits are not $3-4k. It’s more like $5k+ for just the empty
shell of a large tank. Then you have to add all the electronics and other
components to reach about $8-10k for the kit... then you have to build it

My company, FOA, provides the Jagdtiger RC fully designed
<http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/foa017rc-1-6-jagdtiger-henschel-version-un-assembled-rc-kit/>

with suspension, motorization and electronics for about $2.6k as a kit.
It’s a MONSTER. Here’s a photo of a built static kit

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ce4yLjOx22I/WK3kvvGJ0rI/AAAAAAAAASs/7kriQQTvQIwKs_anhphlrmCUNFe8hgTrQCLcB/s1600/smallimage.jpg>

Often on this forum, builders are interested to build their own design.
It’s part of the “fun”. I have found out that it is a very complex endeavor
to achieve the “best” design unless you have the experience of the finest
“engineering mind” from the members of this forum. I just talked to a
customer who bought our Tiger I static and installed his own suspension
system. He spent numerous hours of frustration and design changes before he
got something “acceptable” – still his Tiger’s sprocket seems slightly too
high. He is now buying our RC Kingtiger with the pre-designed suspension
system to focus his interest in other form of modeling, like detailing his
tank

I LOVE this forum, because it is a source of intelligent and willing
fellows who will help. FOA has worked with many of its members, whether as
designers or customers. And then there is the practical aspect of the
build, which is the actual combat!

But I think the pitfall to avoid is the total frustration of a far-stretch
project that undermines the finishing of the “dream tank”.

I’m wishing you luck and will follow with interest your build-up

Happy Modeling!

Loic Anthian

http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com