For a change I was actually saddened that my place of employment would not be
open last Friday in observance of Independence Day. It's not from a lack of
patriotism, but from having to wait until today to post in response to the grim
if not entirely unexpected news regarding how and if RDA will be made available
and at what cost. You see it has been my contention from the beginning that RDA
is not conceived of as a tool for _all_ libraries, and perhaps not even _most_
libraries. A simple look at the cast of characters involved in all levels of
this project reveals that there have been very few public library catalogers
included in the discussions; few if any catalogers from smaller libraries,
whether academic, special, school, or public; few if any catalogers from
vendors of cataloging as opposed to vendors of ILS systems; and, while we're at
it, no public recognition or admission of who's not included either in the
conception, creation, or the scope of this project that now!
 has many saying it must succeed simply because of the massive amounts of money
and time already invested in the project. For my part I no more buy that as a
reason that RDA must be adopted than I buy the same argument as a reason the
Iraq war must continue indefinitely.

On the other hand perhaps we should be thankful that the mask is now off. Karen
Coyle has honestly admitted that, at least in her view, not all libraries need
to have access to RDA:
[From Karen Coyle in regard to pricing and availability of RDA]:
"I am also of the opinion that a new cataloging code would sell fewer copies
than AACR and AACR2. This is just my gut feeling, but I think that the reliance
on copy cataloging and the need to streamline is such that fewer librarians
need to have a copy of the rules at their desks."

Karen says this is her gut feeling, but I wonder if that feeling or any other
inputs to the project are the result of actually talking to anyone from the
kinds of libraries not well represented in the project. My guess is that it is
not. Certainly if small to medium sized public libraries did not want
cataloging done to current standards, I would not have a job, but as a quick
perusal of my postings on this and other lists will attest, I do. Moreover if
our customers didn't care about current standards, we could crank out crap a
lot faster than doing the full and complete bibliographic and authority records
we currently do, donating all to WorldCat where everyone can see and use them.
Who are these libraries that rely so much on "copy cataloging" that they don't
"need to have a copy of the rules at their desks"? Perhaps if some RDA
enthusiasts could spare a moment or two to drop in for a visit to ALA committee
meetings where public library catalogers make up more than one te!
nth of the attendees they might come away with a different view. They might be
surprised to find out that size and level of funding are not always accurate
reflections of what libraries want as far as cataloging. I am familiar with one
public library so small that there is only one cataloger who operates without
full membership in OCLC (due primarily to cost), yet this cataloger regularly
attends ALA and is perhaps more committed to keeping current than I am (but
then I have the advantage of having Bryan Baldus on staff to keep us current).
If there is one such library, I strongly suspect there are others. What are
they to do about RDA? Rely even more heavily on LC CIP--a resource that may
well be drying up and is in any case in flux? And what good is copy cataloging
if one wants to control series titles? LC CIP doesn't have that feature
anymore, and if one wants to wait for the libraries Karen & Krew seem to see as
the market for RDA to establish series control on kiddie bo!
oks, one will be waiting an awfully long time-- from what I see in Wor

Marjorie Bloss left the door open somewhat as to what might happen with RDA
availability:
[From Marjorie Bloss regarding pricing and availability of RDA]:
"The Co-Publishers are currently examining different models for the pricing of
RDA based on tiered approaches, size and types of libraries (consortia, library
schools, academic, public, special libraries -- forgive me if I don't list them
all).  Factors that will also drive the price include the functional
specifications (how much functionality will there be?), content development,
the development of the DTD, converting data into XML, how RDA will be accessed
(such as pay for use), etc.  All of these (plus other things I'm sure I've not
mentioned here) need to be factored in when establishing RDA's pricing
structure."

This seems slightly more hopeful than Karen's comments, and in any case the
context of their remarks was not exactly the same, but Marjorie could you
enlighten us as to any plans from the Co-Publishers (<= is that a proper noun?
I've lost track) regarding making RDA available in a useful way for users like
smaller libraries and, for that matter, individuals like Phillip Davis?
[From Phillip Davis]:
"I am retired. I use my home computer. I have spent a great deal of time in
studying and commenting on RDA. I should like to continue doing this after the
publication of the new code. How expensive will the on-line version be for folk
like myself? If it should prove to be beyond the pocket of an individual, will
there be a paper version, or has that idea been abandoned? If there is to be a
paper version, how much will that cost, please?"

Perhaps not surprisingly I find myself once again in full agreement with Mac:
[From Mac in the Full draft of RDA delivered thread]:
"What difference does it make?  RDA offers so many options it is useless as a
cataloguing tool.  What we might be following is either the three [US] national
library implementation provisions, or the four [Anglo] national library
implementation provisions."

So maybe this won't be that big a problem anyway, but if RDA fails will we ever
have an opportunity to create new rules for cataloging of materials about which
AACR2r is either mute or absolutely no help at all? DVD cataloging under AACR2r
is enough of a nightmare to adequately demonstrate that we need new rules, but
to do so do we really need to change the rules for all materials, even those
for which AACR2r works more than adequately as many posters have stated?

And finally, from Karen Coyle again:
"The online product as it was described (and hopefully we'll soon see Naught's
slides available online) will have features that go beyond a simple text of the
rules and more toward a cataloging application."

>From Tribby the Verbal Bomb Thrower:
To once again invoke Buddy Holly with regard to a "cataloging application" of
RDA ever being widely available under the current plans:
"That'll be the day."
Or perhaps Jimi Hendrix had a better handle on the vision of RDA as a useful,
let alone useable tool:
"Ain't no light nowhere."

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger