Karen Coyle wrote:

What type of entity would be "part" be? I'm thinking that there is no such entity as "part" but that a work can be a "is part" of another work. Taking into account that the work is a single entity that may be related to any number of expression/manifestations it cannot be "secondary" since that is what it is only in relation to the manifestation being cataloged. Primary and secondary, therefore, have to be relationships.

In a sense, a Work is always whole, even if it is part of another work. If it didn't have "wholeness" it couldn't be a work.

(...)

Yes, that is how I imagine the graph to "grow." But I guess I'm not sure what the "part" box is in your model -- it appears to be a Work that has the characteristic of being a part of the aggregate.

Good point.

I think you're right that my "parts" also must by necessity be works (in the same sense that, say, "The fellowship of the ring" is a work in itself, which at the same time is placed in a whole/part relationship with "The lord of the rings"). So in the Nabokov example I don't have only three works (the two individual works plus the aggregate work, which has two parts), as I claimed before, but rather five works: the two individual works, the aggregate work and the two "part works".

I know that having "W1" and "W: Part 1 of Aggregate Work" as two different boxes next to each other somehow looks redundant, but I still think this complexity is necessary. Let's look as some more diagrams which I have just drawn: http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/heidrun-wiesenmuller/ (among the working papers again, called "Additional diagrams #2", or directly:
http://tinyurl.com/6o2sh3k
(sorry, it's more than 3 MB; next time I'll compress the graphics more).

The new example illustrates the (fictitious) case of two "Selected works" editions of Jane Austen’s novels. Both contain the same two works "Pride and prejudice" and "Sense and sensibility", but one of them contains the English expressions, whereas the other contains the German expressions. The two aggregate works were created by
two different persons, completely independently of each other.

Now if you first look at figure 2, which illustrates a straightforward "work-of-works" approach, you'll notice that starting e.g. with the "Aggregate Work 2" and going downwards to the work "Sense and sensibility", you then have no way of knowing which of the two expressions to take (the English or the German one), and consequently, there is no way of telling which of the aggregate manifestations shown at the bottom belongs to this aggregate work.

Compare this to figure 3, which gives the same thing in the alternative model. I admit that this is much more complicated, but at least it seems to work: Starting with the "Aggregate Work 2" and going downwards you first reach the two "part works". These are unambiguously connected to the expressions which the creator of the "Aggregate Work 2" really used for his collection (the German versions), and this brings you to the right manifestation. So I think we need to have this "doubling" of works, if we want to capture things like that.

Now where are the differences between e.g. "W1: Pride and prejudice", "Part 1 of Aggr. Work 1" and "Part 2 of Aggr. Work 2"? It is as you thought: Most of the attributes will be the same, and also some of the relationships (e.g. the relationship to Jane Austen as the creator).

I think there should be an additional attribute "aggregate" distinguishing between the individual work (W1) and the "part works". This would have to be newly introduced to FRBR, and it certainly needs some further thinking to sort out the details (e.g. do only the "part works" get this attribute, or also the aggregate work? How can we bring out the difference between "Part 1 of Aggr. Work 1" and "Part 1 of Aggr. Work 2", if both get the same attribute "aggregate")?

Another difference - and probably the vital one - between the individual works and the "part works" is how they are integrated in the network of FRBR relationships. One difference is, of course, that only the "part works" have a whole/part relationship with an aggregating work. Another is that whereas, on principle, all existing expressions of "Pride and prejudice" are connected with the box for the individual work, only the expression (or expressions) really used for the aggregate work is/are connected to the "part work". A case where the "part work" boxes would be connected with more than one expression would be a collection of essays, which is republished in a revised version (including revised versions of the essays). Then each part work for an essay would be connected with two expressions.

One thing I don't like about the diagrams of the alternative model is that there is, as yet, no direct line between the box for an individual work and the corresponding "part work" boxes. I feel there should be a relationship there of some kinde but am uncertain what it might be. There doesn't seem to be anything adequate in FRBR yet; perhaps this would also call for an extension of FRBR.

By the way, it was correctly pointed out to me off list that the model would have to be recursive, e.g. allowing for an aggregate work (e.g. a collection) being part of another aggregate work (e.g. a monographic series). Now, that'll be some _really_ complicated diagrams, but I believe it wozld be possible to model this as well.

I also note now that your Fig. 3 has an expression that realizes more than one work, which I believe is problematic. It definitely violates the current FRBR model, but then you are advocating for change in that model.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact, and that would be the most important change necessary to FRBR in order to implement the alternative model.

I'm not sure what you mean with "title search" here. Do you perhaps mean a title search on manifestation level? That's not what I have in mind. I rather imagine a system like OCLC's FictionFinder (by the way: will that ever go online again?), which at the first step presents not manifestations, but only works.

But I believe it searches on all titles. Otherwise, one would have to know the original language title in order to retrieve the work. Unfortunately Fiction Finder doesn't seem to be running at the moment so I can't check that. The other option is that all manifestation titles would need to be alternate titles in the work.

It hasn't been running for a long time. But I think how it worked was to cluster all the manifestations to works first. You are right, probably what they did was then store all titles of manifestations in the work record, so for retrieval it doesn't matter whether you search with the original title or, e.g. the title of a manifestation in another language.

However, I don't think we can design for a single system structure. Surely some systems will provide a full keyword access on any entities.

True, in this case the system would be a bit more cumbersome as you'd probably have an additional step to take. But this is a matter of implementation, not a question of principle. I think we should aim at providing sound data in sound data structures. We can, of course, give some hints as to possible ways of using the data in retrieval systems, but I'm not sure whether we can do more than this.

No, I actually think we're getting very close. It would be useful to have examples, so if you can mock up examples of your ideas I think that would help. Then we can refer to specifics. What I really want is a real time white board for drawing diagrams... this kind of thing is very hard to do in email.

Yes, that would be good to have. For my diagrams I use Cmap Tools:
http://cmap.ihmc.us/download/
It seems that this can also be used collaboratively, but I haven't tried that out.

(And I greatly appreciate your excellent command of English, as there would be no communication at all without it.)

Thanks (blushing again). I've got an M.A. in English which comes in quite handy.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.