Mac:

Heidrun said:

Now I even wonder: Can an aggregating work have a title?

Certainly they can:

Shakespeare's Bonnets
Tennessee William's Plays
Faulkner's Short Stories
Conference on Biophysics
Equal Marriage Rights Symposium
Papers on Fracking

Sure, but these are plain simple _aggregate_ works, and not _aggregating_ works in the sense of the Working Group. Remember their claim: "The process of aggregating the expressions itself is an intellectual or artistic effort and therefore meets the criteria for a work." (p. 5). And in the "Understanding FRBR" example they say: "The aggregating work encompasses all of the intellectual effort required to identify the topics to be covered, solicit the authors, edit the manuscripts, write the introduction, compile the index and other related activities." (p. 13). The aggregating work therefore does not refer to the _creation_ (e.g. a collection of essays or plays), but to the _process_. Thomas said in one of his posts: "The aggregating work and aggregating expression are entirely new entities that refer to an effort of arrangement, and not the collective effort for the individual works."

Now: Could the "effort of arrangement" be something that has a title? I doubt it.

Conference proceedings (i.e. papers) issues both independently and as
an issue of a journal would have two expressions it seems to me.

If it's exactly the same text, then to me these are two manifestations of the same expression.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.