John,

I guess I did not read the Final Report that carefully, since I'm not sure what the difference is between aggregating expressions/works and aggregate expressions/works.

I'm not surprised. We had a long and difficult time on this list working out the difference. Have a look at these posts (all rather longish, I'm afraid):

http://www.mail-archive.com/rda-l@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca/msg06461.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/rda-l@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca/msg06491.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/rda-l@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca/msg06494.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/rda-l@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca/msg06501.html

What we do in Virtua is allow you to have a Manifestation, which contains separate Works, linked to multiple Expressions/Works, including an Expression/Work for the Manifestation (an aggregate). I think Figure 3 in the Final Report illustrates the process very well.

If I understand you correctly, you have implemented the left-hand side of figure 3 (which is rather straightforward), and you have also implemented entities for what is shown on the right-hand side. Now the question remains what sort of information is stored there. If, for example, you have a selected works edition and you store the title of this edition (something like "Selected works of ...") in the record for the work entity, then I'd say it looks rather like an aggregate work and not an aggregating work. That's why I'd be interested in some more details, e.g. an example record.

You can see a powerpoint presentation on our RDA/FRBR implementation at
http://www.vtls.com/products/virtua
and click on the hyperlink at the bottom of the page:
Insights and Processes from VTLS's 8 Years of Experience with FRBR and RDA <http://www.vtls.com/sites/vtls.com/files/products/media/RDA2010Julweb.pdf>

It is a couple of years old now, but it still illustrates the system okay,

It gives a very good idea of the way Virtua handles FRBR for ordinary works, but unfortunately there is no example for an aggregate manifestation.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.