I found it worthwhile to go back to this 2002 article on the problems
identifying expressions for the work "Humphry Clinker", as it highlights some
of the early difficulties in applying FRBR expressions to existing
bibliographic data:

http://www.oclc.org/research/publications/library/2002/oneill_frbr22.pdf

There are a number of issues that arise, and that reflect how expressions have
been and can be implemented. Understanding how to approach aggregate
expressions is complicated by the legacy effects of our current systems.

1. Current expression-level organization is often at what I would call an
"expression group" level, rather than distinct expressions.

For example, the authority controlled heading for Tolstoy's War and Peace:
Tolstoy, Leo, graf, 1828-1910. Voina i mir. English

doesn't distinguish the different translations in English. Some of the
expression level organization offered in systems like VTLS is at this grouping
level, with distinguishing elements generally limited to Content Type and
Language.

2. Some methods to identify unique expressions require the Contributor
relationship. For example, one could say translator, editor, and illustrator
are core elements if these are the only ones that can distinguish expressions.
These go beyond the expression attributes listed in RDA Section 2 (Recording
Attributes of Works and Expressions).

This ties in with my earlier comment that the Contributor relationship can be
essential, in that it can make or break the boundaries for a distinct
expression.

3. The expression attributes can be found scattered currently in either MARC
bibliographic and MARC authority records, which adds to the complexity in
thinking about expressions as distinct entities, and in modelling aggregate
expressions.

RDA Chapter 6 covers the attributes usually found in authority records and in
authorized access points (essentially the instructions for uniform titles and
added entry headings). RDA Chapter 7 covers the expression attributes usually
found in bibliographic records, such as Summarization of the Content,
Illustrative Content, and Supplementary Content.

The RDA Element Set View on the other hand, organizes all the attributes for an
expression together, with an organization for "Core", "Enhanced", and
"Specialized" attributes, and these are followed immediately by the
Relationship elements -- the primary relationships, the Contributor
relationship, and the Related Expression relationships.

There are some odd results:
It might be good to say an expression has a bibliography (in the sense of a
fixed field value), but the examples in RDA root this expression to specific
manifestations (RDA 7.16.1.3):
"Bibliography: pages 859–910"

Similarly, additional information about a Contributor relationship can be added
to notes, which RDA 18.6 directs to manifestation attributes (this is where one
finds the comparable sense to "justify the added entry" in the description).

The other odd result:
Related Expression relationships can be found in authority records (See Also
references), or in bibliographic records when Identifiers, Structured
Descriptions, and Unstructured Descriptions are used.

So for the way VTLS handles this, there is a good use of the vertical
relationships, the many-to-many relationships of Expressions embodied in
Manifestations with the example of:

Short story - "The fires of hell" found in 3 manifestations.

Reoriented to...

One of the manifestations - "Port o' missing men" manifestation showing the
embodied expressions (rather work/expression details) of each short story,
allowing for navigation to be enhanced.

What appears to be missing is the ability to add the horizontal relationships--
the Whole-Part relationships from an individual expression to an aggregate
expression, or to other related expressions. The split in MARC authority and
bibliographic data seems to hamper this flexibility, which means that
expression modelling is limited to the attributes that exist in bibliographic
records. For many application purposes, this might be sufficient, but it does
mean a lot of baggage has to be carried to try to model aggregates out.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library

..