From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Adam L. Schiff
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 4:09 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Added elements for expressions

It appears that these two examples,

Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900. Works. 2000
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Works. 2003. Yale University Press

while formulated in the same way we have been doing it in AACR2, probably do
not conform to the punctuation instructions in E.1.2.5:

Enclose a word, phrase, date, or other designation used for conflict resolution
in parentheses.

Separate a word, phrase, date, or other designation used for conflict
resolution from another word, phrase, date, or other designation also used for
conflict resolution by a space, colon, space.

If these instructions are followed, the examples should be rendered as:

Wilde, Oscar, 1854-1900. Works (2000)
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Works (2003 : Yale University Press)

John, probably these two examples need to be corrected with fast-track process.

Note however, that this change from AACR2 requires many existing authority
records to be changed in order to be coded as RDA.  Perhaps this is something
the JSC needs to have a look at.  I don't think this came up on the list of
changes needed to AACR2 records when recoding as RDA.

I do see that there are indeed two examples illustrating the prescribed
punctuation in 6.28.4.4:

Beethoven, Ludwig van, 1770-1827. Ludwig van Beethovens Werke (1862) Authorized
access point for the compilation: Beethoven, Ludwig van, 1770-1827. Works (1862)

Beethoven, Ludwig van, 1770-1827. Ludwig van Beethovens Werke (1949) Authorized
access point for the compilation: Beethoven, Ludwig van, 1770-1827. Works (1949)

And also in 6.31.3.2:

Catholic Church. Pope (1978-2005 : John Paul II). Vita consecrata. English
(Simplified version) Catholic Church. Pope (1978-2005 : John Paul II). Vita
consecrata. English (Institute on Religious Life) Authorized access point for
the expression: Catholic Church. Pope
(1978-2005 : John Paul II). Vita consecrata. English (2004)

Catholic Church. Pope. Tutte le encicliche dei sommi pontefici (1940)
Authorized access point for the expression: Catholic Church. Pope.
Encyclicals. Italian (1940)

Catholic Church. Pope. Tutte le encicliche dei sommi pontefici (1959)
Authorized access point for the expression: Catholic Church. Pope.
Encyclicals. Italian (1959)

Catholic Church. Pope. Tutte le encicliche dei sommi pontefici (1964)
Authorized access point for the expression: Catholic Church. Pope.
Encyclicals. Italian (1964)

--Adam Schiff

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff