From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of James Weinheimer
[weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com]
Sent: June-07-12 1:58 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] "Work manifested" in new RDA examples

On 07/06/2012 18:49, Brenndorfer, Thomas wrote:
<snip>

I think part of the problem is that James believes that FISO (find, intentify,
select, obtain) applies only to "traditional access points of author, title,
and subject".

That's incorrect.

Any element, big or small, belonging to any entity can be the target of these
elementary tasks.

When people fill out any form, it's to provide bits of data so people can find
the form, identify what's on the form, and do things with the data, such as
select (which is the basis of limits and filters and other kinds of operations).

When James is saying entities are changing into all kinds of strange new things
("entirely new and never seen before") he's ignoring the main point -- just get
the data you need so we can continue to do useful search and retrieval on these
strange new things. As anyone who has set up a database will say -- design the
system to get the job done, and that means deciding what data are important and
what needs to be related to what.

</snip>

That is the theory, and how it was supposed to work in the old days. While it
is true that the entities are changing into strange new things, "find" is not
an entity. It is a behavior of the people, and based on the powerful new, and
constantly changing capabilities of systems today, people are able to find
things in an entire variety of ways that only the wildest science fiction
writers could have imagined 30 years ago. As I said before, Google "the russian
that killed the old pawnbroker"
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+russian+that+killed+the+old+pawnbroker That
information is nowhere in the bib record, nor does it need to be. It works,
that is if you are looking for the novel Crime and Punishment, but if it is the
name of some musical group, you may have a problem.

I have seen a video where, "it's a book about Napoleon but I don't remember the
author or title, only that it had a really neat green cover". You Google
"napoleon book" go to images, click on the color green (you'll find it) and you
get books about Napoleon with green bindings. This kind of search was a
librarian's joke not that long ago. Now it can be done!
https://www.google.com/search?q=napoleon+book&hl=en&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsa&source=lnt&tbs=ic:specific,isc:green

The modern information agencies are collecting vast amounts of information
about each person that even we don't know about ourselves, to use it to find
things I am not even aware I am searching for. This is what Tim Berners-Lee's
"mechanical agent" is all about. Whether I love it or hate it is irrelevant; it
is happening now.

But we must see that it is something profoundly different from what we had
before.

--
James Weinheimer weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com<mailto:weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com>
First Thus http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/