But that's the Select user task at play in this discussion. Users can select
from amongst a result set, or they can pre-filter search results with limits,
or algorithms can produce relevancy ranked results. Current catalogs have all
kinds of responses. But the backdrop still would have all the primary
relationships established. It's not as if we wouldn't be setting those
relationships in anticipation that the only search result forced on users is to
display all of them.

The holdings screen is a good example of how flexibility can be built in. There
can be pre-filters on availability (available copies only); there can be
automatic sorts based on location (local physical branch copies displayed
first), there can other filters and sorts based upon other criteria. Or users
can see ALL items and choose from among them because that logic is encoded from
the ground up.

As for the RDA Chapter 17 objectives, the question is quite simple: does the
resource contain the specific work or expression or not? Set the value. Encode
and design search engines as one pleases.

It's the same principle for the authority controlled form of an author's name.
This is so we can find ALL resources attached to the person within the library.
A user can continue to find or select a resource (that ONE book) as needed, but
that's based upon other criteria that's captured in elements and made available
for displays or indexes or search engines. Without a convention that links the
resources to the person in a consistent fashion, the resource stands or falls
on its own -- cataloging imposes order on the resources.

Cutter's objectives continued where he does imply "all" books ...

2. To show what a library has
(D) by a given author
(E) on a given subject
(F) in a given kind of literature

3. To assist in the choice of a book
(G) as to its edition (bibliographically)
(H) as to its character (literary or topical)

The main differences today are the expansions on these terms: "what" and "book"
are expanded into Group 1 entities; "author" is expanded into Group 2 entities;
"subject" is expanded into Group 3 entities (which subjects can contain Group 1
and Group 2 entities).

The latter point is important. A user may know of a work, but may not know that
there was another book written about the work (a subject relationship). In
order to FIND that other work, a relationship needs to be established and this
needs to be part of what is presented to the user. The user may not be aware of
any search criteria to use to find the other book-- part of the purpose of the
catalog is to show the user the relationships between resources and allow them
to explore or navigate the terrain (and EXPLORE is a FRSAD user task).

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library