Heidrun, looking at these examples (which naturally do not tell the whole story) it seems to me that the authority records in your catalogs do more than just establish preferred name forms; instead, they approach what to me seems more like the description of a person entity. The inclusion of information like the name of a spouse or the occupation is more than one needs to convey the preferred and alternate name forms.

This fits in with some thoughts I've been having about authority control and entities. Although the FRBR entity is called Person, the data is really only about the person's name, not about the person him/herself. In contrast, if you look at FOAF [1], the entity clearly represents the Person, with the name being one of many attributes. Person entries in resources like Wikipedia, Freebase [2], and Open Library [3] are also about the person, not the name.

I have thought that a good mix would be to use the library authority data as an identifier, but to connect that to these other, more ample resources to link to information about the person.

kc

[1] http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/
[2] http://www.freebase.com/
[3] http://openlibrary.org/