Ben,

Re:  "Finally--I certainly agree with you about DVD's, and I don't really
think RDA content/media/carrier vocabularies improve upon that situation.
 If anything they go backwards--under AACR2 it was common to code the 300
$a as "1 CD-ROM" or "1 DVD-ROM", but under RDA we're supposed to "record
the extent of the resource by giving the number of units and an appropriate
term for the type of carrier" which leads us to record "1 computer disc".
 The only way I've figured out to indicate "DVD" vs "Blu-Ray" or "CD-ROM"
vs "DVD-ROM" is with a note."

You can say 1 CD-ROM or 1 DVD-ROM.  See RDA 3.4.1.5, condition c).

Judy Kuhagen