Thomas said: "The basic problem is then thrown back to MARC where one has an
undifferentiated 710 field (corporate body could be a creator, other
associated with the work, contributor, publisher, etc. - none of these
top-level relationship elements are in the list of designators)."

"Creator", "Contributor", "Publisher", and other top-level elements are
actually in the list at http://www.loc.gov/marc/relators/relaterm.html

But "Other Person, Family or Corporate Body Associated with a Work" is not
there.

However RDA appendix I.1 says: "If none of the terms listed in this appendix
is appropriate or sufficiently specific, use a term indicating the nature of
the relationship as concisely as possible." So if we can think of a more
specific term, we can use it in $e (notice that the MARC instructions for $e
do not mention the code list); the problem being, of course, that there will
be no corresponding $4 code, unless we can get our new term approved and
added to the list in I.1 and the MARC Code List for Relators.

As Thomas points out, if we do not add Relationship Designators, we have no
way of knowing what the relationships are in MARC, because the tag numbers
will not tell us about exact relationships.

Even though Relationship Designators are not RDA-Core, I believe that the
reason that they are not core is that the top-level relationship will always
be present as an element, and so that element label will be used to express
the relationship, if no more specific designator is provided. So, we should
make every attempt to add relationship designators in our MARC records, even
if they are just the top-level ones.

The one problem being that crazy long "Other Person, Family or Corporate
Body Associated with a Work" for which MARC has no entry. So this is where
we can invoke the permission to come up with our own term. I'm not going to
take a stab at a suggestion for this resource, however.

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.

 <mailto:debo...@marcofquality.com> debo...@marcofquality.com