Hi Mac.  I also feel a little uncomfortable using contributor type
relationship designators in a 100 field with the creator type relationship
designators, but I thought that doing so is supposed to be acceptable
according to the PCC Guidelines for the Application of Relationship
Designators in Bibliographic Records which Adolfo Tarango referenced on
(http://www.mail-archive.com/rda-l@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca/msg09665.html).
The examples in the PCC Guidelines seem to indicate that one can use
creator and contributor type relationship designators in the same field,
as long as they are entered in WEMI order.  One could also use a
combination of 100 & 700 fields for the same person, with only creator
relationship designators in the 100 field, and contributor type
designators in the 700 field. My institution has opted to accept AACR2
records and not upgrade them as we don't have the manpower required to do
so, but create original records in RDA.  I'm starting to feel like just
whimping out on this one and accepting the AACR2 copy, but adding a 700
for Garfinkle.

I also see an answer in PCC Guideline 3 to another question of mine about
whether we can use the more specific relator terms which are indented
under the bold terms: "Within a hierarchy of relationship designators,
prefer a specific term to a general one if it is easily determined.  For
example, use librettist rather than author for the creator of a libretto.

Thanks again for your help.

-Dana