On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM, Adam L. Schiff <asch...@u.washington.edu>wrote:

> In RDA Appendix J "reprinted as" and "reprint of (manifestation)" are
> listed hierarchically under "reproduced as" and "reproduction of
> (manifestation)".  I have a 2010 large print edition of a book originally
> published in 2003.  The manifestation in hand says "This optimized
> ReadHowYouWant edition contains the complete, unabridged text of the
> original publisher's edition. Other aspects of the book may vary from the
> original edition."
>
> I was considering including a 775 field in the RDA record for the large
> print with the relationship designator "reprint of (manifestation)" and a
> description of the 2003 edition.  However large print editions are not
> reproductions, so the placement of "reprinted as (manifestation)"
> hierarchically under "reproduction of (manifestation)" seems suspect to me.
>
> Reprints are clearly equivalent manifestations, but not necessarily
> reproductions.  Shouldn't "reprinted as" and "reprint of (manifestation)"
> be taken out of the reproduction hierarchies in Appendix J?

Hi Adam,

I believe the problem here is the mighty misleading wording of the
definition of "reprint of (manifestation)" in App. J--in particular, the
choice of the phrase "same content".  If you look at the definition of the
reciprocal term, "reprinted as", you will see that reprints must be the
*same expression*.

And since editions are different expressions, then your large print edition
is not a reprint, even if the content is the same.  It is a different
expression, but the same work, as the original book; the relationship of
the large print edition to the regular-print original would be captured by
the AAP for the work (100+245, or however it pans out for this particular
resource).

That's my take on it, anyway.

Trina

Trina Pundurs
Serials Cataloger
Library Collection Services
University of California, Berkeley
tpund...@library.berkeley.edu
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/

Proudly wearing the sensible shoes since 1990