On a related note:

The other day, we were wondering how habilitation theses should be treated under RDA. These are quite common in Germany. In case you're not familiar with this European concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation

Some universities grant the academic degree of "Dr. habil." to somebody who has successfully completed his or her habilitation. But in many cases, there is no special academic degree connected with the habilitation. From then on, the successful candidate can call him- or herself a "Privatdozent" (private lecturer, PD), while they are waiting for a professorship, but this is no academic degree.

According to the German cataloging rules, we only record "Habilitationsschrift" (habilitation thesis), but no specific degree - just as for doctoral theses, we only record "Dissertation" (without distinguishing between e.g. "Dr. phil." and "Dr. med."). Under RDA, do we now need to find out whether it's a case of "Dr. habil." or not? And what about the cases where no special academic degree is granted?


Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
Stuttgart Media University
Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany

Reply via email to