You're right. We'll try and work something out. One idea which has already come up is defining an additional element which would express the character of a thesis instead of a specific degree.

But isn't it amazing how these cultural differences pop up at the most unexpected places. I wasn't even aware that there was a difficulty with habilitation theses until a colleague pointed me to it.


Benjamin A Abrahamse wrote:
Since "habilitation" is not an Anglo-American institution, I would be surprised indeed if 
RDA discusses it. (Just to confirm--searching the Toolkit for "habilitation" or any of 
its variants returns no hits.) So I think this is an area where the (Continental) European 
cataloging community will have to figure out what it wants to do and make a proposal to the JSC (if 
it is necessary).

It looks like typically it's just recorded in a 500 note that is formatted 
somewhat similar to your standard 502... zB:

Ethnizität, Islam, Reformasi : die Evolution der Konfliktlinien im 
Parteiensystem Malaysias / Andreas Ufen.
500 $a The author's Habilitationsschrift--Universität Hamburg, 2010.

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions and Discovery Enhancement
MIT Libraries

-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access 
[] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:15 PM
Subject: [RDA-L] Habilitation theses

On a related note:

The other day, we were wondering how habilitation theses should be treated 
under RDA. These are quite common in Germany. In case you're not familiar with 
this European concept:

Some universities grant the academic degree of "Dr. habil." to somebody who has 
successfully completed his or her habilitation. But in many cases, there is no special academic 
degree connected with the habilitation. From then on, the successful candidate can call him- or 
herself a "Privatdozent" (private lecturer, PD), while they are waiting for a 
professorship, but this is no academic degree.

According to the German cataloging rules, we only record "Habilitationsschrift" (habilitation thesis), but no specific 
degree - just as for doctoral theses, we only record "Dissertation" (without distinguishing between e.g. "Dr. 
phil." and "Dr. med."). Under RDA, do we now need to find out whether it's a case of "Dr. habil." or 
not? And what about the cases where no special academic degree is granted?


Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
Stuttgart Media University
Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany

Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.
Stuttgart Media University
Wolframstr. 32, 70191 Stuttgart, Germany

Reply via email to