I recently read a short piece that caught me up short, and I quote:

“The fast dropping cost of solar, while a huge boon to the adoption of solar
PV, has counter-intuitively altered design parameters. No longer is the
north-facing roof considered unusable because limited application in less-than
optimal orientations can still show a positive net benefit. Arrays are thus
designed now with elements or sub-arrays in these locations, increasing overall
kW installation while reducing the energy production per capacity installed.
This might have been anticipated based on sheer economic analysis from a users
perspective, but so long has solar been expensive that these less optimal
orientations were never seriously considered.”

I doubt that the individual who wrote this piece came to these conclusions
him/herself. Does anyone know of a recent article that argued this perspective?
Is this an emerging design practice? If so, I’d like to know more about it.

-          Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D.

President, SolarGnosis

1107 Fair Oaks Ave., Suite 351