Dana my 1/2 HP 240 volt pump draws about < 2 amps, which is maybe 3.3 amps
if it is 120 volts.  I wonder if the high volt drop is leaving your pump in
locked rotor for a long time, in which case a soft start will not help.
Perhaps a buck-boost transformer  (about 150 watts) boosting 16% would get
the pump started faster?  Do the wire size and length for calculating volt
drop.  then use a 3.3 amp soft start.