Hey y'all, I'm going to disagree about the NEC getting "worse and worse
when it comes to PV," (see disconnect and grounding requirements, for
instance!), but as with previous posters, that's just an opinion.

Regarding location - the 2014 version had very little to say about the
location of any rapid shutdown initiation device; 2017 adds the requirement
[690.12(C)] that RS initiation devices for one- and two-family dwellings be
readily accessible (defined in Article 100), AND outside the building.
Seems reasonable for a device that is intended to control energized
conductors to make it more safe to enter a building.

Cheers,

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professionalâ„¢ R031508-59
520.204.6639

Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org

SEI Professional Services