Thanks Dan. You mentioned some excellent pointers.

One advantage to using a 24 or 48 V system is that you don't have as bad of
compatibility issues. Depending on the brand (and therefore the maximum
charging voltage and maximum voltage tolerance specifications) you can flex the
number of cells per string. You can't really do it with a 12 V battery because
10 cells in series is too high for a lot of equipment, and 9 cells is too low,
but 9.5 cells would be just right for many brands. With a 24V system, you can
use 19 cells, and with a 48V system then you can choose between 38, 39, and 40
cells depending on the equipment you're using.

I am using an Outback Radian inverter, and the charge voltage for a 40 cell
battery would actually void my warranty if I were to fully charge it with the
inverter still connected, so because of my equipment, I use 38 cell strings.
Because of this string length, I can fully charge my batteries from a generator
through the inverter if I wanted, but because I have finally added enough PV, I
never waste the fuel to do it. I have heard that the XW inverters can actually
handle the full 40 cell voltage so if you're doing your design around Ni-Fe
batteries then that might be a better choice.

Jay,

As far as water use... my battery powers a micro-grid and my parent's
commercial building so my water usage does not accurately reflect what a house
may use but we could do some math and estimate it....

  *   My battery is 2000 Ah @ 48V (nominal) and my PV is 18 kW, I have a 7.2 kW
Bergey windmill on a 160' tower, and I have to run my 22 kW generator for a few
hours perhaps 10  to 15 days per year.

  1.  I have heard that with water consumption is more closely related to PV
size than battery size (I am not sure about that). I use roughly somewhere
around 20 gallons per month. If you were to combine all my power sources,
perhaps it would be fair to say that it's the equivalent of having 20 kW of PV
so I would estimate that you will use 1 gallon of water every month per kW of
PV.
  2.  If we go by battery size, I use a gallon per 100 Ah @ 48V. So if you have
a 500 Ah, 48V battery then maybe it would use 5 gallons per month. If you have
a 400 Ah, 24V battery then perhaps it might use 2 gallons per month.

  *   I think that #1 above would be more accurate. Perhaps if I were to
calculate out my Wh/month of charging then that would be even more accurate....
but I don't think I'll do that today. These gas differently than Lead Acid
batteries... Lead acid batteries only gas when you charge them above a certain
voltage (the latter part of the charge) but Ni-Fe batteries gas during all
phases of the charge cycle. That's probably a large factor of why they use more
water than Lead Acid batteries.
  *   I would be really interested to hear what other's water usage might be.
Dan, have you monitored your water usage at all?
  *   Dan, do you have the auto watering system? Iron Edison did a recall a
couple years ago on their auto watering system because it could concentrate
hydrogen so I ended up waiting a long time for mine. Now that I finally have
it, I can just hook up the pump and watch it go. It is so much easier.

Thanks,
Kienan

Maxfield Solar
maxfieldso...@hotmail.com<mailto:maxfieldso...@hotmail.com>