Wrenches; I have run my house on 12 volt NiFe batteries for 3 years now. I
was going to write a long essay, but Kienen beat me to it. It's an
excellent analysis, I agree with each of his bullet points.

All I'll add is that the batteries charge with decent efficiency up to 80%
SOC. To get that last 20%, they do require 1.65 volts per cell, which most
standalone inverter / chargers won't do off a generator - they freak out at
a bit above 15v and shut down.

I've used 2 tactics to get that last 20% when using a generator, and I have
experienced the same issue that Kienen mentioned -- they need to get a nice
strong, charge cycle every so often or else they will behave like a heavily
sulfated FLA, but of course the NiFes don't sulfate.

1) after charging to 80% SOC with the generator, both of my charge
controllers (outback and midnite) have no problem being programmed to a
16.5v absorb cycle, I set absorb at 6 hours, on a sunny day that does the
trick here.

2) If no long, sunny day available and you are forced to use a generator
and charger that won't let you get to 16.5v, remove one cell from the
series string, and charge the other 9 cells. Then put the one you removed
back in the string, and remove one of the ones you discharged, and
generator charge again. Then re-assemble back into a 10-cell string. I've
only had to do this a couple times.

In general, I'm happy with these batteries, and happy to never have to deal
with sulfation again, and remember I have the worst case scenario here with
a 12v bank, undersized because of the greater DOD capability of NiFes, a
refrigerator that surges very hard, and a magnum inverter that goes wonky
with big surges at low voltages.

I would sell Iron Edison NiFes to a client...but unless they are a special
sort of off-grid 12v person, I'd only do 48v because of the surge issue.

Dan Fink
Professor of Solar Energy Technology, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers™
NABCEP PV Associate

970.672.4342