Hi Kirk, the maximum actual charge rate is 5kW per Powerwall. When you
exceed that, or start getting full batteries, the Gateway tells the
Powerwalls to frequency shift to 62-66 Hz.

This takes the UL 1741 listed inverters out of the sweet spot, and they
stop or curtail production. However, predictably other sensitive
electronics don't love being at 66 Hz.

The newer inverters with more advanced grid profiles are able to partially
curtail production based on slight variations in frequency. Older SMA are
unlikely to be compliant, so behavior of those will be PV production on or
off.

This can especially be a problem when cold starting batteries, older
inverters may overload the ability of a morning cold battery to even take a
charge. In those situations you will get absolutely no PV production until
the batteries are warm enough to take the full charge. It can be
devastating for a winter day where you may get only 3 hours of good
production.

If you add PV to the backup side, it will need to run through a new or
existing CT dedicated to PV production.

If you put the new PV in the service panel you should put a new PV
production CT around it, but you wouldn't have to depending on the current
CT configuration. It would not produce during a grid outage.

If you don't add the PV Production CT, the Powerwalls cannot use that PV to
charge or see it in the app. If you have to land the new PV breaker on the
non-backup side, but still in a location metered by the whole home
consumption CTs, you will need PV production CTs.

Also if there is a discrete "generation" and "essential loads" panel, the
generation panel can have a maximum of 200A of generation pass through the
gateway, as it is a 200A device.

*With Regard,*
*Vince Jolissaint*
*Cobalt Power Systems Inc. |*
*Director of CAD Services*2557 Wyandotte St.  | Mountain View CA  94043
Office: 650.938.9574 | E-Mail vince...@cobaltpower.com
<vince...@cobaltpower.com>