On Thu, 01 May 2014 13:58:07 +0200, "Jörg F. Wittenberger"
> Q2: Would it be a good idea to allow this in the official spec?
> Embedding in XML seems to have broad uses these days and I foresee use
> cases for sweet list especially in domain specific languages.

I really want to keep the spec stable for a while (though that doesn't stop
experimentation with various extensions).

I've done some experiments generating HTML/XML, but like this:
! <head>
! ! <title>
and with that approach there's no issue.

Using {*...*} would probably be a challenge for many implementations.
IIIRC, in the Common Lisp implementation "{" and "}" are treated a lot like
"(" and ")", that is, they are their own tokens, and there's no real
opportunity to re-connect them later.  So I'd discourage the use of {*...*}
specifically.

Here's an idea: Can you use full Unicode (encoded, say, as UTF-8)?
You could then use additional pairing markers, there are a whole bunch
in math and quoting markers.  Then there'd be no overlap.
For example, you could use the Ogham feather mark pairs:
U+169b Ps OGHAM FEATHER MARK ᚛
U+169c Pe OGHAM REVERSED FEATHER MARK ᚜
Or brackets with quills:
U+2045 Ps LEFT SQUARE BRACKET WITH QUILL ⁅
U+2046 Pe RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET WITH QUILL ⁆
Some folks have tried to create a list of these paired characters here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13535172/list-of-all-unicodes-open-close-brackets
I'm not sure what the best symbols would be... we could try them out
on many systems to see how they look.
These could be considered synonyms, as extensions to the existing system.

--- David A. Wheeler