On 16-May-98 steven standley wrote:
> Heh gang...
>
> I am looking to purchase a tape drive for backup on my home system.
> I have a scsi2 and scsi3UW interface available.
>
> What I need is recommendations from the list on tape drives
> that you have purchased and have had little or no problems with.
> Ease of installation is a plus.  In other words I don't want to have to
> patch kernels and such just to get the thing to work.

Yes, I have a SCSI controller as well, but the DAT drives are just too expensive
for home use.  Sometimes you can get a 32G autoloader from www.corpsys.com for
about $375, and they are _really_ nice drives.

I'd spend the $250 and get one of those TR-4 IDE Travan drives.  I now have one,
and its quite fast, and basically amounts to plugging it in a free IDE spot.
There's no Linux setup necessary.

If you do get a Travan drive, get the IDE version, as the floppy-version isn't
nearly as fast, and requires some setup on Linux.

Dave